Legionella is an airborne bacterium that, if inhaled through aerosols, can cause illnesses with similar symptoms to pneumonia.
Legionella can build up in water systems that haven’t been used in a while such as showerheads, taps and piping. Research has shown that venues with swimming pools and hot tubs are more likely to experience outbreaks of legionella.
Six stats about the long -term dangers of legionella in terms of health:
- 10-15% of cases of legionella in the UK alone have ended in death. Due to this, venues with pools and spas should especially be on high alert as this is where outbreaks are very likely to occur.
- 66% of sufferers from legionella have experienced neurological long-term effects.
- 63% have experienced neuromuscular long-term effects.
- 75% of sufferers have experienced continued fatigue.
- Men are 2-3 times more likely to suffer from the more server symptoms of legionella.
- People affected with legionella bacteria have to incubate for 2-10 days and may even suffer long term symptoms
Financial long-terms risks
Whilst the health and safety of your staff and customers will be at the forefront of your mind, these may not be the only repercussions businesses could face if an outbreak were to occur.
Legionella outbreaks can be costly and take up time. We want you to be able to run your business and continue to do an incredible job without adding extra stress to your pile. Legionella outbreaks may involve having to source a third-party contractor to come and clean up the problem for you which not only will be costly but will disrupt your business, for example, what if a legionella outbreak disrupts when you are able to re-open your business?
Prevention is Better than Cure
A regular simple practice can help you prevent legionnaires disease and allow a smooth run for your business.
All you have to do is:
- Ensure hot water supply temperature (at outlets) is greater than 50C and cold water is less than 20C
- Dismantle, clean and soak showerheads for 2 hours every 3 months in disinfectant
- Using a disinfectant, clean tap filter or shower head before replacing
- Flush out piping and faucets that haven’t been used for a long time
- Using a thermometer, run the hot water until the temperature is greater than 50C. Run for one minute
- Repeat with cold water, until temperate drops below 20C
- Most Legionella outbreaks are 100% avoidable with regular testing and LegionellaMax can help you be risk free.
How can LegionellaMax prevent the risk of legionella
LegionellaMAX is the most accurate test kit available for legionella testing, with sensitivity levels of 0.1 CFU/ml. By utilising a test with such a high sensitivity level, you are able to detect low levels of bacteria before they have a chance to contaminate your entire water system. You won’t need to have any previous knowledge on legionella before using the testing kit or go to a lab before getting your results – all is conducted on site.
LegionellaMax is the best and simplest solution to prevent a legionella outbreak, because of:
- 100X EFFICIENCY – Improving the previous market-leading test to 0.1 CFU per ML.
- UNRIVALLED ON-BOARD TESTING – Tests both water samples and biofilms taken from any source.
- RAPID RESULTS – Simple “positive or negative” result within 35 minutes. The control line also indicates that the test is working correctly.
- EASE OF USE – No formal training required. The pre-filled syringe containing recovery buffer and the pre-filled vials means there’s no need to measure or dilute solutions.
The LegionellaMAX Test Kit does away with time-consuming lab-based testing, giving you INSTANT results so you can treat your system ASAP. This easy-to-use test can be fully conducted on-site with no formal training and delivers rapid results within 35 minutes. It’s the most advanced, accurate and versatile technology which rapidly detects Legionella bacteria, both in water samples and biofilms taken from any source.
Knowing your water systems are safe and Legionella-free within few minutes, will give you peace of mind and allow you to satisfy your customers’ needs in the best way available.
Want to know more about Legionella testing? Download our free Legionella testing guide here.
Alternatively, you can get in touch here and we will be happy to help.